1. Lose It!
Lose It! is a user-friendly weight loss app focused on calorie counting and weight tracking.
Through an analysis of your weight, age and health goals, Lose It! generates your daily calorie needs and a personalized weight loss plan.
Once your plan is established, you can easily log your food intake into the app, which pulls from a comprehensive database of over 7 million foods, restaurant items and brands.
Additionally, the app’s barcode scanner can be used to add some foods to your log. It saves foods that you enter frequently, so you can quickly select them from a list whenever you eat them.
You’ll also get reports of daily and weekly calorie intake. If you use the app to keep track of your weight, it will present your weight changes on a graph.
What makes Lose It! different from other weight loss apps is that it has a “Snap It” feature, which allows you to track your food intake and portion sizes simply by taking pictures of your meals.
Studies have shown that taking pictures of your meals may help you keep track of portion sizes more accurately and observe trends in your dietary intake.
Another highlight of Lose It! is its community component, where you can participate in challenges with other users and share information or ask questions in a forum.
- Lose It! has a team of experts that verify the nutrition information of the foods in their database.
- It is extremely easy to sign up for Lose It! and there is no cost unless you want access to the premium version.
- You can sync Lose It! with other weight loss and fitness apps.
- Lose It! doesn’t keep track of the vitamins and minerals that you consume.
- The food database is missing some popular brands that you might expect to find otherwise.
SparkPeople allows you to log your daily meals, weight and exercise with their user-friendly tracking tools.
The nutrition database is large, containing over 3,000,000 food items.
Additionally, the app includes a barcode scanner, making it easy for you to keep track of any packaged foods that you eat.
When you sign up for SparkPeople, you gain access to their exercise demo component. This includes photos and descriptions of many common exercises, so you can ensure you are using proper techniques during your workouts.
There is also a points system integrated into SparkPeople. As you log your habits and achieve your goals, you will receive “points,” which can be used for personal motivation.
- The SparkPeople app is free.
- Those who use the app have access to SparkPeople’s health and fitness articles in addition to an interactive online community.
- SparkPeople provides a significant amount of information, which may be difficult to sort through.
MyFitnessPal, integrates calorie counting into its strategy for supporting weight loss.
MyFitnessPal calculates your daily calorie needs and allows you to log what you eat throughout the day from a nutrition database of over 5 million different foods. This even includes many restaurant foods that are not always easy to track.
After you enter your food intake, MyFitnessPal provides a breakdown of the calories and nutrients that you consumed throughout the day.
The app can generate a few different reports, including a pie chart that gives you an overview of your total fat, carb and protein consumption.
One of MyFitnessPal’s useful features is its barcode scanner, which makes it easy to enter the nutrition information of some packaged foods.
You can also track your weight and search for healthy recipes with MyFitnessPal.
Furthermore, it has a message board where you can connect with other users to share tips and success stories.
- MyFitnessPal has a “Quick Add” feature, which you can use when you know the number of calories you ate but don’t have the time to enter in all the details of your meal.
- If you use fitness-tracking apps, such as Fitbit, MyFitnessPal will sync with them and adjust your calorie needs based on what you burned via exercise.
- Although there is a premium version with extra features you can pay for, the basic version is free to use.
- The nutrition information of the foods in the database may not be entirely accurate, as most of them are entered by other users.
- Due to the size of the database, there are often multiple options for one food item, meaning you may have to spend some time to find the “correct” option to log.
- Adjusting serving sizes in the app may be time-consuming.
One potential way to shed pounds is by keeping track of your exercise habits with a wearable activity tracker.
Fitbits are an excellent resource to help you track physical activity. They are wearable devices that measure your activity level throughout the day by recording the number of steps taken, miles walked, stairs climbed and heart rate.
Those who use Fitbits have access to the Fitbit app, which is where all of your physical activity information is synced. You can also keep track of your food and water intake, sleep habits and weight goals with Fitbit.
Fitbit also has strong community features. The app allows you to connect with your friends and family who use Fitbit. You can participate in various “challenges” with them and share your progress if you choose.
Depending on the type of Fitbit you have, you can set alarms as reminders to get up and exercise, and Fitbit will send notifications to your phone to tell you how close you are to your fitness goals for the day.
Additionally, you receive “awards” whenever you achieve a specific goal. For example, you may receive the “New Zealand Award” once you walk 990 lifetime miles, signifying that you’ve walked the entire length of New Zealand.
There are several other devices and apps similar to Fitbit, such as Jawbone UP, Apple Watch and Google Fit.
- Fitbit provides you with a considerable amount of information, so you can keep good track of your weight and health goals.
- The app is extremely easy to use and has several ways of showing you your progress and keeping you motivated.
- In order to use the exercise, sleep and heart rate components of the app, you must own a Fitbit device, which can be expensive.
Having a support system may be helpful for weight management.
FatSecret focuses on providing its users with that support. It allows you to log your food intake, monitor your weight and interact with other people through its community chat feature.
Not only are you able to chat with other users through FatSecret, but you can also join groups to connect with people who have similar goals.
Research has shown that individuals who have social support tend to be more successful at achieving and maintaining weight loss than those who do not receive social support .
In one study, 88% of subjects who joined an internet weight loss community reported that being part of a group supported their weight loss efforts by providing encouragement and motivation.
In addition to a large collection of healthy recipes that you can make, FatSecret features a journal where you can record information about your weight loss journey, such as your successes and drawbacks.
What makes FatSecret stand out from other weight loss apps is it’s “My Professionals” tool, in which you can share your food, exercise and weight data with your preferred healthcare providers.
- FatSecret nutrition database is comprehensive and includes many restaurant and supermarket foods that would be difficult to track otherwise.
- Not only does FatSecret show you your daily calorie intake, but it also has the ability to display your monthly calorie averages, which is helpful for monitoring progress.
- It is very easy to sign up and free of cost.
- Due to its many different components, FatSecret can be difficult to navigate.